B  U  Y     /     S  E  L  L      S  E  C  T  I  O  N

www.echoloft.com Rules for Buy / Sell Ads the Echo Loft Lounge (Hifi & Music Forums)   

You can do your part to help maintain the Echo Loft Buy/Sell Section... :)
[Click here to report anything out of the ordinary]
(Just put the URL of the advertisement and if necessary, a brief description of the problem in your email
)

Ad posting guidelines:
- Please limit yourself to 5 ads per day to avoid cluttering the board.
- Consolidate your items into fewer ads if you have too many items to advertise.
- Include prices (in Singapore dollars unless otherwise stated), condition, description, photos (if avail.)
Thanks!

the Echo Loft (Buy/Sell Section) :: Powered by YaBB
  « FS speakers »
April 26th, 2024, 10:43am
Home Help Search Login Register

the Echo Loft (Buy/Sell Section)
   Buy / Sell Forums (Singapore - Post prices in SGD)
   [Singapore] HIFI Equipment (Buy/Sell)
   FS speakers
(Moderator: Admin)
Pages: 1 Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: FS speakers  
wilderfay

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

FS speakers
« on: September 2nd, 2017, 10:47am »

Modify message

Selling

Musical Fidelity Kelly KT3 Transducer

6 ohm 95db

http://www.google.com.sg/url?url=http://www.musicalfidelity.com/ uploads/manuals/English/kt3.pdf&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&a mp;ved=0ahUKEwjrlciFvYXWAhWHMY8KHd_aDDAQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNGFYEZRk1Eqpmzs3MFP CL0MNPN5-g

From the Hi Fi Choice Kelly KT3 Review of 1997:

It's not cheap, and it's not perfect, but there's nothing comparable that matches its sensitivity, and the dynamic precision that comes as a result. Quirks notwithstanding, that fact alone is ample justification for the Best Buy flag.

Size (W x H x D cm) 25,95,36
Impedance (Ohms) 6 ohms
Sensitivity (volume for a given input, dB/W) 95
Bass rolloff 26
Manufacturer: Kelly Transducers
Telephone: 0181 900 2866
Price: £1200
Reviewed in issue: 174

Kelly Transducers will be a new name to most readers, I daresay. Pioneer hi-fi engineer Stan Kelly has been more involved in professional audio than hi-fi these past couple of decades. Now Stan's in semi-retirement, his brand name has been purchased by Musical Fidelity boss Antony Michaelson, and is being used to launch a new range of speakers whose whole raison d'etre is high sensitivity.

The £1200 KT3 is the first to appear. I've seen two sample pairs thus far, but I'm assured they're representative of full-scale production. Caveat emptor in this respect. This is an extremely interesting design that makes a concerted effort to challenge familiar stereotypes.

What is sensitivity anyway, and does it matter? It's a measure of how loud a speaker will sound for a given electrical input, which in practice means that a high sensitivity model will use less amplifier power than a lower sensitivity model to create the same loudness. That much is fact.

The true value of high sensitivity is rather more a matter of debate, and has been since the transistor made high-power amps relatively affordable. For my part, I believe high sensitivity imparts audible advantages to a loudspeaker design thus equipped - over and above the obvious increase in system headroom and loudness capability. I have held these views for some years, so it must be an amazing coincidence that I found myself on the receiving end of a Musical Fidelity charm offensive soon after the product was announced.

The key to the KT3's high sensitivity lies in its recipe of twin main drivers with ultra-light Aerogel cones, a generous box and large-diameter port, crossing over to a single horn-loaded tweeter. Those ample ports ensure sufficient bass output for free space siting, and good extension too, even if the room responses are a little uneven, with a pronounced down-turn above 800Hz.

The solid build quality is confirmed by a mass of 26kg - at the heaviest end of the test-group range. The visual presentation has a retro feel thanks to that Dan Dare badge, sharp-edged cabinet, lack of plinth, and suitably nostalgic wood stain. Bi-wire terminals are fitted, but I will reserve judgment about spike arrangements, as evidence from our two samples was ambiguous.

Sound quality

It's not often that the most expensive model in a group test tops the listening-test findings, but this was precisely the trick pulled off by the KT3, though there was one dissenter in the ranks. Subtle and articulate intelligibility is a major strength: singers sound believable and remain unusually consistent relative to background ambience. Several listeners commented on the impressive lack of strain and the noticeable ease with which musical messages came through the mix.

The slightly dull presence and top end proved a better tonal match with the Naim kit than the Krell amp in our listening tests - the exception, not the rule. Also, I found the KT3 preferable with one of its ports blocked off. Whatever the cosmetics, this was the only speaker in the group with sufficient dynamic grip and tension to capture the full momentum of Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole.

Conclusion

Fine unsighted listening-test findings have only served to confirm my personal enthusiasm for genuinely high sensitivity designs like this Kelly. It's not cheap, and it's not perfect, but there's nothing comparable that matches its sensitivity, and the dynamic precision that comes as a result. That alone is ample justification for a Best Buy flag, despite occasional quirks elsewhere. The substantial boost in amp headroom is an additional bonus. Although the load is demanding, increased sensitivity is a more-than-ample compensation.
PMe

selling for $650

hp 9182 4312
« Last Edit: September 2nd, 2017, 4:48pm by wilderfay » Logged

Pages: 1 Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

the Echo Loft (Buy/Sell Section) (http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell2/YaBB.cgi)